How do I get an invention to Toyota?
A Voice of Freedom
2011-06-15 22:45:16 UTC
I have an idea for a new engine design that might get a 10-15 MPG increase in
gas mileage without any loss of horsepower.

The problem is, I understand that it can take AT LEAST $20k to patent
something, it's like you have to fight the government for it, and I have no
money.

I LIKE Toyota more than any other car maker, and if I could sell my idea to
them and still get a guarantee of some serious money from it, without having
to patent it myself, I'd love for them to have the first shot at it.

Do they even consider such deals?
dr_jeff
2011-06-15 23:32:39 UTC
Post by A Voice of Freedom
I have an idea for a new engine design that might get a 10-15 MPG increase in
gas mileage without any loss of horsepower.
The problem is, I understand that it can take AT LEAST $20k to patent
something, it's like you have to fight the government for it, and I have no
money.
I LIKE Toyota more than any other car maker, and if I could sell my idea to
them and still get a guarantee of some serious money from it, without having
to patent it myself, I'd love for them to have the first shot at it.
Do they even consider such deals?
You would have to prove it works first.

Talk to a patent attorney.

Jeff
dbu,
2011-06-16 00:00:34 UTC
Post by dr_jeff
Post by A Voice of Freedom
I have an idea for a new engine design that might get a 10-15 MPG increase in
gas mileage without any loss of horsepower.
The problem is, I understand that it can take AT LEAST $20k to patent
something, it's like you have to fight the government for it, and I have no
money.
I LIKE Toyota more than any other car maker, and if I could sell my idea to
them and still get a guarantee of some serious money from it, without having
to patent it myself, I'd love for them to have the first shot at it.
Do they even consider such deals?
You would have to prove it works first.
Talk to a patent attorney.
Jeff
drjeffy, no, he wouldn't have to speak with a patent attorney. He can
show his idea without details to Toyota or who ever else might be
interested and cut a deal, a legal contract, drjeffy. Patents are poop.
Good for lawyers and that's about it.

drjeffy, do you have any clue at all??

Still riding the subway and sucking free bandwidth from the wi-fi net
with your mom and dads laptop I see. LOL.
NotMe
2011-06-16 02:45:38 UTC
Post by dbu,
Post by dr_jeff
Post by A Voice of Freedom
[...]
That is *IF* and a very big *IF* at that he could get Toyota or anyone else
to even talk to him.

Any corporation that might look at this would require a) that official and
public disclosers be made and b) also require an agreement that basically
protected the company and left him out in the cold.

At one time I ran the unsolicited idea submission program for a major
Japanese player. Very few got to the fill out this form stage as the IPR
(intellectual property rights) risk are just too great.
dbu,
2011-06-16 10:47:20 UTC
Post by NotMe
Post by dbu,
Post by dr_jeff
Post by A Voice of Freedom
[...]
Sell it to a third party, VC..... IF it's any good, worth it, Toyota
will pay big bucks, like the turn signals...or numerous other inventions
that nobody cared about until it hit the third party market. Then watch
the lawsuits fly.

Patents are only there to be stolen. If you got the money to defend it
then fine, but it takes a lot and a lot of time. One would be dead by
the time it's all settled.
dr_jeff
2011-06-16 11:43:34 UTC
Post by NotMe
Post by dbu,
Post by dr_jeff
Post by A Voice of Freedom
[...]
Unless any of us have done and know what the gas-saving invention is, we
can't give him any good advice. A patent attorney at least is sworn to
secrecy, should have experience in this matter and should know what the
next steps are. And, usually, the first visit is free.

Jeff
NotMe
2011-06-16 16:37:54 UTC
Post by dr_jeff
Post by NotMe
Post by dbu,
Post by dr_jeff
Post by A Voice of Freedom
[...]
I obviously have no information on the idea much less if it's good or not
good. My comment was on the reality of process that is in place. Again
real world any of the big boys will play the paperwork game (often on the
certainty that their R&D has something sufficiently similar in progress that
does the same thing) and will fully protect themselves using resources that
the little guy cannot muster.

Even if it is a new idea, the process will entail 'floor planning' where the
competitors will patient every conceivable off shoot of the idea with the
result that while the original patent would be considered valid it's useless
without the rest of the patents.
in2dadark
2011-06-20 02:40:48 UTC
Post by A Voice of Freedom
I have an idea for a new engine design that might get a 10-15 MPG increase in
gas mileage without any loss of horsepower.
The problem is, I understand that it can take AT LEAST $20k to patent
something, it's like you have to fight the government for it, and I have no
money.
I LIKE Toyota more than any other car maker, and if I could sell my idea to
them and still get a guarantee of some serious money from it, without having
to patent it myself, I'd love for them to have the first shot at it.
Do they even consider such deals?
I think you should email the idea to me and I'll tell you weather or
not it's worth pursuing. :0)
Hachiroku ハチロク
Say, that's mighty white of you! ;)
larry moe 'n curly
2011-06-20 21:14:04 UTC
Post by A Voice of Freedom
I have an idea for a new engine design that might get a 10-15 MPG increase in
gas mileage without any loss of horsepower.
The problem is, I understand that it can take AT LEAST $20k to patent
something, it's like you have to fight the government for it, and I have no
money.
I LIKE Toyota more than any other car maker, and if I could sell my idea to
them and still get a guarantee of some serious money from it, without having
to patent it myself, I'd love for them to have the first shot at it.
Do they even consider such deals?
No, because they could be sued for plagerism if they came out with
something even remotely similar to yours, whether they intentionally
or unintentionally copied you or even invented it completely on their
own.

Another problem is that >99% of the submitted ideas don't work as
claimed.
Ray O
2011-06-21 02:04:35 UTC
Post by A Voice of Freedom
I have an idea for a new engine design that might get a 10-15 MPG increase in
gas mileage without any loss of horsepower.
The problem is, I understand that it can take AT LEAST $20k to patent
something, it's like you have to fight the government for it, and I have no
money.
I LIKE Toyota more than any other car maker, and if I could sell my idea to
them and still get a guarantee of some serious money from it, without having
to patent it myself, I'd love for them to have the first shot at it.y
Do they even consider such deals?
When I worked for Toyota, I often got inquiries from people with ideas that
were going to make a quantum leap in engine efficiency or horsepower, and
when I listened to those ideas, there was a major flaw in the idea.

Toyota gasoline engines get anywhere from 15 to 40 MPG, so you are talking
about anywhere from 20 to 100% increase in fuel economy without any loss in
horsepower. That would be a quantum leap in power plant efficiency. The
"might get a 10-15 MPG increase..." part makes me think that you are pulling
figures out of the air as opposed to from the results of design studies or
mathematical modeling, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and share
what automakers are looking for in power plant design.

For an automaker to be interested in a power plant design, it has to be
commercially viable, and for a power plant design to be commercially viable,
it has to:
- be relatively easy to produce;
- cost roughly the same to produce as current drivetrains;
- use materials that are readily available;
- be as durable as existing internal combustion engines;
- be as cost effective and as easy to maintain and repair as current
powertrains;
- use fuel or an energy source that is the same cost or less expensive than
current energy sources or is renewable ("green");
- use fuel or an energy source that is readily available;
- have an operating range (distance) that consumers will accept;
- meet strict emissions requirements;
- operate and perform well under a wide range of environments, from well
below zero to over 100 degrees Fahrenheit in rain, sleet, snow, and in arid
conditions;
- offer reasonable acceleration and steady cruising for long periods of
time;
- be reasonably easy for consumers to operate;
- be scalable in terms of horsepower, torque, performance, and fuel economy;
- offer an advantage over existing powertrains in one or more of the points
listed above without a big offsetting disadvantage in other points.

Research and development is expensive, so ideas that don't meet these
criteria are not likely to get far. Internal combustion engine technology
has come a long ways, and the folks who design power plants for automakers
are pretty knowledgeable about them and have taken a look at just about any
design that shows promise, including ideas that have been patented.

All of the engine designs that were presented to me were deficient in most
or all of the points listed above and were not worth passing up the chain.
That's not to say that there are no breakthrough designs out there, it's
just that none were presented to me.

Current hybrid technology has a cost premium of several thousand dollars
over conventional internal combustion engines and drivetrains, and they are
barely commercially viable because they are considered to be "green" or
offer a payback in terms of operating costs in less than the lifespan of the
vehicle if the owner keeps the vehicle long enough.

You can probably do a patent search on your idea, or see if it meets most or
all of the criteria listed above. If it is truly a good idea, you can
probably get investors to fund the patent process and R&D.
--
Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
Marvin Johnson / Inventor
2016-04-18 16:18:01 UTC
replying to A Voice of Freedom, Marvin Johnson / Inventor wrote:
I have an Idea for all Automobiles, something you have not seen anywhere.
--
posted from
http://www.motorsforum.com/toyota/how-do-i-get-an-invention-to-toyota-213295-.htm
homepc
2016-04-18 17:42:30 UTC
Post by Marvin Johnson / Inventor
I have an Idea for all Automobiles, something you have not seen anywhere.
***@toyota.ca

That would be for Canada.

;-)
Your Name
2016-04-18 20:52:57 UTC
In article <6210d$571508b9$41b57997$***@news.flashnewsgroups.com>,
Marvin Johnson / Inventor
A competent driver?? ;-)
abu bakar
2019-03-17 16:18:02 UTC
replying to A Voice of Freedom, abu bakar wrote:
My suggestion to Toyota is to design one device use radio frequency to detect
car or other vehicle breakdown in front or side of road. This device will
function went vehicle move more than 30km/hr. All vehicle must install this
system to avoid vehicles crash into each other at same line. This device also
can connect to air bag as well incase accident and warning signal send to
behind vehicle to slow down the speed

***@yahoo.com

--
for full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/toyota/how-do-i-get-an-invention-to-toyota-213295-.htm