2016 Avalon Limited Rough Ride
Wade Garrett
2020-07-06 19:48:06 UTC
Love most everything about my 2016 Avalon Limited except the rough ride.
You can feel most every bump, crack and sewer/manhole cover on the road.

I know Toyota gave this trim model a "sportier" suspension with
225/18/45 skinny tires on 18 inch wheels- rather than the fatter
215/17/55 on 17 inch wheels on the lower trim models.

It's getting to be tire time and I wonder if it might be worth trying a
tire/wheel package in the smaller size.

Would the taller 55 sidewalls absorb road bumps better? Any problems
with transmission shift points, speedo readings, any of the electronic
stuff, etc.?

--
Teacher: Why are you late?
Student: Class started before I got here...
Elmo P. Shagnasty
2020-07-09 12:07:44 UTC
Post by Wade Garrett
Love most everything about my 2016 Avalon Limited except the rough
ride. You can feel most every bump, crack and sewer/manhole cover on
the road.
I know Toyota gave this trim model a "sportier" suspension with
225/18/45 skinny tires on 18 inch wheels- rather than the fatter
215/17/55 on 17 inch wheels on the lower trim models.
It's getting to be tire time and I wonder if it might be worth trying a
tire/wheel package in the smaller size.
Would the taller 55 sidewalls absorb road bumps better? Any problems
with transmission shift points, speedo readings, any of the electronic
stuff, etc.?
No problem.

Discount Tire can help:

https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-size-calculator

So, there's a little difference. In moving from 225/45R18 to 215/55R17
setup, your speedometer would be showing just a bare tad slow. (One
wonders if the dealer could code your system for the new tire size, to
give correct speedometer/odometer readings.)

But yes, the taller sidewalls will be better for absorbing bumps and
the like. You'll also be less likely to rub the wheels on the curb,
with a little more sidewall.