Toyota Highlander rattle in the rear
JohnR66
2006-05-13 03:11:15 UTC
It is an 02 and when driving over rough pavement or a stone driveway, there
is a pronounced rattle from the rear. Perhaps a suspension component.

I Googled and found dashboard rattles, but not the problem here so I guess
it is uncommon. Anyone else have this problem with their highlander? What
was the actual souce of the rattle?
Thanks, John
Ray O
2006-05-13 04:57:21 UTC
Post by JohnR66
It is an 02 and when driving over rough pavement or a stone driveway,
there is a pronounced rattle from the rear. Perhaps a suspension
component.
I Googled and found dashboard rattles, but not the problem here so I guess
it is uncommon. Anyone else have this problem with their highlander? What
was the actual souce of the rattle?
Thanks, John
Rear rattles in hatchbacks and station wagons generally come from these
sources:

Something loose in a compartment, like the jack, tools, jumper cables, etc.;
Rear hatch mis-adjusted;
Spare tire loose (either not screwed down tightly if in a well or not
winched up all the way if hanging underneath);
Wire loom or wire harness connector rattling (pad with foam or secure with
duct tape or zip ties).

If the sound is coming from the top of the strut mount, loose, deformed, or
hardened suspension bushings.
--
Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
Joey
2006-05-13 15:49:23 UTC
Post by JohnR66
It is an 02 and when driving over rough pavement or a stone driveway, there
is a pronounced rattle from the rear. Perhaps a suspension component.
I Googled and found dashboard rattles, but not the problem here so I guess
it is uncommon. Anyone else have this problem with their highlander? What
was the actual souce of the rattle?
Thanks, John
John,

My Highlander is only 1 1/2 years old and I too have noticed that rattle
coming from the rear, but I haven't spent that much time yet looking for
the cause. Let me know here if you find out what it really is. Thanks

Art
Thanks, John
Ray O
2006-05-13 22:46:47 UTC
Post by Art
Check your license plate screws.
To clarify, I'm assuming that Art is suggesting that loose license plate
screws can cause the license plate to rattle. While you're back there, make
sure the license plate frame is not rattling.
JohnR66
2006-05-16 02:22:58 UTC
Post by Ray O
Post by Art
Check your license plate screws.
To clarify, I'm assuming that Art is suggesting that loose license plate
screws can cause the license plate to rattle. While you're back there,
make sure the license plate frame is not rattling.
--
Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
Thanks for the replies. I listened more careful while another person drove.
It kind of a rattling/knoking sound right around the rear wheels. Perhaps a
loose suspension component.
John
Ray O
2006-05-16 04:10:34 UTC
Post by JohnR66
Post by Ray O
Post by Art
Check your license plate screws.
To clarify, I'm assuming that Art is suggesting that loose license plate
screws can cause the license plate to rattle. While you're back there,
make sure the license plate frame is not rattling.
--
Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
Thanks for the replies. I listened more careful while another person
drove. It kind of a rattling/knoking sound right around the rear wheels.
Perhaps a loose suspension component.
John
If you can feel/hear the knocking sound from the top of the strut towers,
check the top strut mount bushings.
joe devoe
2015-10-27 04:18:02 UTC
replying to JohnR66, joe devoe wrote:
I have the same prob in my 06 highlander hybrid. Changed rear strut, sway bar
links n bushings and still there only when I rake a slight left turn over 40
mph. What is it?
--
posted from
http://www.motorsforum.com/toyota/toyota-highlander-rattle-in-the-rear-55253-.htm
alt.autos.toyota and other automotive groups
Dave Hayes
2019-03-18 01:18:01 UTC
replying to Art, Dave Hayes wrote:
We have a 2018 Highlander with 6,000 miles. The rear rattle was SO bad we
were going to trade it in even though we would have lost a fortune! We loved
the vehicle, even more than the last two Lexus we owned. I accidentally hit
the rear quarter panel and heard that tinny rattle and followed it around to
the rear, pounded on the back hatch and found the culprit....the rear license
plate and advertising frame from the dealer. Put four plastic bumpers on from
Walmart and the problem was solved!!! Check this first!!!
for full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/toyota/toyota-highlander-rattle-in-the-rear-55253-.htm
Art Zendejas
2017-05-18 21:18:00 UTC
replying to JohnR66, Art Zendejas wrote:
My 2012 Highlander Hybrid is also making a rattling noise which is coming from
the rear. It began a few weeks ago when I had the scheduled maintenance
service. A knucklehead at the dealer overinflated my tires to 44psi, which is
what I thought caused the rattling. However, after reducing the air pressure
to the appropriate 33 psi, the rattling softened by didn't go away. And now
it's back again but the air pressure is still at 33 psi, so it's not the air
pressure. I also checked the spare tire, thinking it might be loose, but
that's not the problem. At this point, I'm totally mystified by this problem.
Have you learned anything new since your post?

for full context, visit http://www.motorsforum.com/toyota/toyota-highlander-rattle-in-the-rear-55253-.htm
Joe Devoe
2017-05-19 00:18:01 UTC
replying to JohnR66, Joe Devoe wrote:
It's the rear control arm bushing. Park the Highlander on an uneven bank with
the two drivers side wheels about 6- 8 inches higher than the passenger's
side. Then get out and pus the rear side of the vehicle . Rock it side to side
very hard and fast. If you hear it get somebody to rock it while you look
under it to see what's moving. If you don t hear it, park it the opposite way.
It's always the lower side you rock. I just doing mine that way by accident
after spending hundred s replacing wrong parts and struts.

--
for full context, visit http://www.motorsforum.com/toyota/toyota-highlander-rattle-in-the-rear-55253-.htm