Cruise control button pops out of stalk. Camry, Corolla, etc.
sms88
2012-07-15 14:41:11 UTC
The cruise control button on our 2007 Camry recently popped out of the
end of the stalk. Searching online, I found that there were many
instances of this problem, not only on the Camry but on other Toyotas as
well.

When it pops out, the little copper piece that makes and breaks the
connection with the contacts on the stalk will likely fall out of the
button. Reinserting this copper piece, with the proper orientation, and
carefully snapping the button back in, while pressing down on the
contacts with a jeweler's flat blade screwdriver (so they slide in
rather than being bent back) fixed the problem, for now. saved me the
$78 cost of a new stalk with a new switch.
alan
2013-08-16 19:18:02 UTC
Post by sms88
The cruise control button on our 2007 Camry recently popped out of the
end of the stalk. Searching online, I found that there were many
instances of this problem, not only on the Camry but on other Toyotas as
well.
When it pops out, the little copper piece that makes and breaks the
connection with the contacts on the stalk will likely fall out of the
button. Reinserting this copper piece, with the proper orientation, and
carefully snapping the button back in, while pressing down on the
contacts with a jeweler's flat blade screwdriver (so they slide in
rather than being bent back) fixed the problem, for now. saved me the
$78 cost of a new stalk with a new switch.
[::The same happened to my Camry 2007 recently. In Canada the dealer said its
$165 for a new switch and $100 + to install
The problem with the 3 prong copper terminal that may or not fall out is that
9 out of 10 times you will damage it when inserting back
On the Camry there is a small screw on the underside of the switch remove this
and pop out the cover plate you now can see inside the switch. Push the button
back in now with the copper terminal in place then replace the cover plate and
secure with screw.
I totally bent the copper terminal and broke of one of the contacts thereby
rendering it useless BUT I made a completely new contact
with 1/2" brass shim stock and it works great - so saving nearly $300.:]
--
posted from
http://www.motorsforum.com/toyota/cruise-control-button-pops-out-of-stalk-camry-corolla-etc-240811-.htm
alt.autos.toyota and other automotive groups
Willis
2017-01-16 04:18:02 UTC
replying to alan, Willis wrote:
ALAN: Just broke the copper piece on my Camry 09. How exactly did you use a
1/2" brass shim to fix? Any photos?

for full context, visit http://www.motorsforum.com/toyota/cruise-control-button-pops-out-of-stalk-camry-corolla-etc-240811-.htm
SteveBroekmann
2017-12-31 14:18:02 UTC
replying to alan, SteveBroekmann wrote:
Hi Alan, thanks for your post. I have the same situation with my Corolla. I
have unscrewed the cover plate. The problem is where exactly how the 3 prong
plate goes on the button. If I put the solid copper piece in the slot so that
the prongs lie flat, their shaped ends point downwards, which seems wrong.
What am I misunderstanding please? Also, after the accident, I found a
spring. Does that go in the middle and should I glue it in position so it is
correctly positioned when I assemble the bits. If you have a moment to reply I
would be grateful

p***@gmail.com
2016-02-14 04:42:34 UTC
Post by sms88
The cruise control button on our 2007 Camry recently popped out of the
end of the stalk. Searching online, I found that there were many
instances of this problem, not only on the Camry but on other Toyotas as
well.
When it pops out, the little copper piece that makes and breaks the
connection with the contacts on the stalk will likely fall out of the
button. Reinserting this copper piece, with the proper orientation, and
carefully snapping the button back in, while pressing down on the
contacts with a jeweler's flat blade screwdriver (so they slide in
rather than being bent back) fixed the problem, for now. saved me the
$78 cost of a new stalk with a new switch.
I opened up the stalk and found the copper piece with two prongs folded and one prong straight. While trying to reinsert it, I dropped it into the steering wheel!

It is gone for sure. Where can I find a replacement copper piece to fit? and should the prongs all be flat?