RAV4 beeps - why?
Ron M
2015-06-04 18:18:01 UTC
When I'm driving along my new RAV4 Invincible automatic will sound a double
beep - for apparently no reason. It then appears to sound a second double beep
some time later, again for no reason. My wife seemed to think it was something
to do with traffic cameras, is the car warning me I was in an area subject to
traffic control, or that I was speeding. That was a great theory but it can
happen when I am within the speed limit, and I have yet to see a traffic
camera at the same time.

I don't necessarily have the satnav on (one is fitted) so can anyone help as
to what could be causing it?

--
posted from
http://www.motorsforum.com/toyota/rav4-beeps-why-244704-.htm
alt.autos.toyota and other automotive groups
Your Name
2015-06-05 04:53:59 UTC
Post by Ron M
When I'm driving along my new RAV4 Invincible automatic will sound a double
beep - for apparently no reason. It then appears to sound a second double beep
some time later, again for no reason. My wife seemed to think it was something
to do with traffic cameras, is the car warning me I was in an area subject to
traffic control, or that I was speeding. That was a great theory but it can
happen when I am within the speed limit, and I have yet to see a traffic
camera at the same time.
I don't necessarily have the satnav on (one is fitted) so can anyone help as
to what could be causing it?
Cars beep for lots of reasons:

- door / trunk open
- seatbelt not fastened
- headlights on / key in ignition when door is open
- reversing (in some cases)
- a warning / error condition on the instruments
- etc.

The seatbelt not fastened beep can be triggered by having a heavy cargo
like a box of books on the seat that the weight sensor thinks is a
person.

The beep can also happen even if the door is shut (for example) if that
particular sensor is broken.
Jeff Strickland
Makes me wonder why on earth they bother to print an owner's manual...
Tekkie®
2015-06-10 19:24:42 UTC
Jeff Strickland posted for all of us...
Post by Jeff Strickland
Post by Ron M
When I'm driving along my new RAV4 Invincible automatic will sound a double
beep - for apparently no reason. It then appears to sound a second double beep
some time later, again for no reason. My wife seemed to think it was something
to do with traffic cameras, is the car warning me I was in an area subject to
traffic control, or that I was speeding. That was a great theory but it can
happen when I am within the speed limit, and I have yet to see a traffic
camera at the same time.
I don't necessarily have the satnav on (one is fitted) so can anyone help as
to what could be causing it?
Makes me wonder why on earth they bother to print an owner's manual...
Or they have dealers one can ask...
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*
dbu`
2015-07-20 22:38:30 UTC
Post by Jeff Strickland
Post by Ron M
When I'm driving along my new RAV4 Invincible automatic will sound a double
beep - for apparently no reason. It then appears to sound a second double beep
some time later, again for no reason. My wife seemed to think it was something
to do with traffic cameras, is the car warning me I was in an area subject to
traffic control, or that I was speeding. That was a great theory but it can
happen when I am within the speed limit, and I have yet to see a traffic
camera at the same time.
I don't necessarily have the satnav on (one is fitted) so can anyone help as
to what could be causing it?
Makes me wonder why on earth they bother to print an owner's manual...
Have you seen the owners manual(s). They are about 3 inches all
together.
homepc
together.
F Murtz
Do you have tollways with etag transponders in car?
A***@hotmail.com
2018-04-08 20:44:11 UTC
It is an app called “coyote” that can be configured to warn you when speed cameras are near. There are various options or you can turn it off.
AndrewDHislop
2018-04-08 22:18:01 UTC
replying to Ron M, AndrewDHislop wrote:
There is an app called “coyote” that warns you about speed cameras. There
are various settings for you to play with.

--
for full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/toyota/rav4-beeps-why-244704-.htm