RAV4 Park Pilot
C. E. White
2006-09-20 13:46:36 UTC
My SO just bought a 2007 RAV4. It is a nice vehicle. Her vehicle has the
"Park Pilot." This is an option that uses ultrasonic sensors to detect
opbjects behind the vehicle when you back up. Apparently it is a distributor
(Southeast Toyota in this case) installed option. Her's does not work
properly. It beeps slowly when there is nothing behind the vehicle but
doesn't seem to beep faster when there is something behind the vehicle. It
only came with a one page instruction sheet. Does anyone have any details on
exactly how this think option should work, and wether there are any
adjustements? She will probbaly need to take it back to the dealer, but some
information on how it is supposed to work, and what can be done to correct
the problem would be helpful She purchased the car from a small dealership
and it is a pain to leave it for service. Additional information might help
to make it a one trip fix.
--
Regards,

Ed White
Ray O
2006-09-20 16:01:18 UTC
Post by C. E. White
[...]
I found 2 products named Park Pilot, one from Bosch
http://www.bosch.com.au/content/language1/html/2262.htm

and another from a company called Rostra:
http://www.rostra.com/ac-ParkingAide.asp
The Rostra site has installation instructions and an owner's manual.

Unfortunately, neither site has repair instructions.
--
Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
C. E. White
2006-09-21 01:31:21 UTC
Post by Ray O
Post by C. E. White
[...]
Wow, thanks for the links. Unfortunately neither installation looks exactly
like the one on the RAV4. Interestingly, the Rostra instruction include an
outline drawing of what looks like a RAV4. The RAV4 Park Pilot is listed as
an accessory in the RAV4 On-Line accessory catalog (Options Park Pilot
(w/Black Molded Sensors) $329). The RAV4 installation includes a button in
the console that allows the Park Pilot to be disabled. The Rostra version
does not include this feature.

Ed
Ray O
2006-09-21 04:20:56 UTC
Post by C. E. White
Post by Ray O
Post by C. E. White
[...]
I've been thinking about something like the Park Pilot or a rear-view camera
for our Sequoia, which has poor visibility. Let us know how your S.O.'s
Park Pilot works once it is calibrated.
Ed White
2006-09-21 12:40:01 UTC
Post by Ray O
I've been thinking about something like the Park Pilot or a rear-view camera
for our Sequoia, which has poor visibility. Let us know how your S.O.'s
Park Pilot works once it is calibrated.
I strongly believe the Toyota Distributor (Southeast Toyota) installed
Park Pilot is from Rostra. After browsing through the Rostra web site,
I found that you could search by vehicle (technical support menu). For
a 2006 RAV4, the recommended kit refers to a deactivation button like
the one in the SO's RAV4.

I now have the following theory on what is wrong - My SO's RAV4 is a
2007. The rear bumber is different thatn the 2006. I suspect they are
using the 2006 kit. Becasue of the different bumper shape, the sensors
are improperly angled. Rostra offers angled bezels, but those are not
installed on the SO's RAV4. The only thing I don't understand is why
the vehicle was shipped with an installation that clearly doesn't work
properly.

My old Expedition had a similar system (factory installed). It always
worked great. My SO liked it so much, She specifically included that in
her list of must have options.

Rostra does not appear to have a Park Pilot specifically tailored to
the Sequoia. I suppose the generic kit would work. Is the backup sensor
a factory option for the Sequoia?

Ed
Ray O
2006-09-21 15:53:33 UTC
Post by Ed White
Post by Ray O
[...]
Unfortunately, backup sensors and rear view cameras are still not available
as factory options on the Sequoia.