1982 toyota custom cab
z***@gmail.com
2007-03-26 20:19:02 UTC
I'm looking at buying an 82 toyota custom cab 4x4. Pretty unusual...
and it doesn't have the camper shell. Anyone know where I might get
one... or anything else that would work? Or any info on this sort of
truck at all? Thanks
Ray O
2007-03-26 21:40:56 UTC
Post by z***@gmail.com
I'm looking at buying an 82 toyota custom cab 4x4. Pretty unusual...
and it doesn't have the camper shell. Anyone know where I might get
one... or anything else that would work? Or any info on this sort of
truck at all? Thanks
I do not recall Toyota ever selling a "Custom Cab" in the U.S., and IIRC,
the Xtracab was introduced later than 1982. There were several aftermarket
conversions on the market at the time, was the "Custom Cab" one of them?

As far as a shell for the bed, measure the bed length and look for a long
bed or short bed shell, depending on your bed length.
--
Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
r***@hotmail.com
2007-04-05 02:55:03 UTC
Post by Ray O
Post by z***@gmail.com
I'm looking at buying an 82 toyota custom cab 4x4. Pretty unusual...
and it doesn't have the camper shell. Anyone know where I might get
one... or anything else that would work? Or any info on this sort of
truck at all? Thanks
I do not recall Toyota ever selling a "Custom Cab" in the U.S., and IIRC,
the Xtracab was introduced later than 1982. There were several aftermarket
conversions on the market at the time, was the "Custom Cab" one of them?
As far as a shell for the bed, measure the bed length and look for a long
bed or short bed shell, depending on your bed length.
--
Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
yes a custom cab was an option from toyota. i collect custom cabs ( i
have 3 of them). They were sent to two different companies to have the
conversion done. One was called custom fabrication manufacturing in
san diego ca, and also in oregon, and another company called
speciality vehicles corporation. it was a 3000 dollar option from
toyota. they took a standard cab pickup and cut and stretched the
frame 3 feet and put on the fiberglass section.
Ray O
2007-04-05 04:28:58 UTC
Post by r***@hotmail.com
Post by Ray O
Post by z***@gmail.com
[...]
The custom cab was not a Toyota option, and there was no Toyota model number
for a custom cab. It was an aftermarket conversion that some Toyota dealers
sold.
r***@hotmail.com
2007-04-06 03:06:44 UTC
Post by Ray O
Post by r***@hotmail.com
Post by Ray O
Post by z***@gmail.com
[...]
(correct punctuation to reply)- Hide quoted text -
So if some toyota dealers sold it, wouldnt that make it an option. Two
of my three custom cabs I purchased from the original owners. Each one
provided paperwork and recipts of the conversion and the price from
toyota. how would that not be an option??? how are you basing your
information?
Ray O
2007-04-06 04:03:23 UTC
Post by r***@hotmail.com
Post by Ray O
Post by r***@hotmail.com
Post by Ray O
Post by z***@gmail.com
[...]
Toyota dealers can sell products and options that are not factory options or
accessories. For example, dealers sell rust proofing, paint protectant,
fabric protectant, theft deterrent systems, glass etching, wheels, and
extended service contracts that are not supplied by Toyota. Toyota used to
sell cab/chassis that were converted to campers, flat bets, utility beds,
cube trucks, etc. The cab and chassis are made by and warranted by Toyota,
but the conversion is warranted by the converter. The quality of those
conversions varied widely - some were pretty good, many were pretty poor
quality with leaks, poor upholstery durability, and electrical problems.

Back in 1982, demand for 4Runners was much greater than Toyota's production
capacity, so there were several aftermarket pickup-to-SUV conversions
(Winnebago was one) that were sold by Toyota dealers. The custom cab was
another aftermarket conversion.

My information comes from working for Toyota Motor Distributors, a division
of Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A.
r***@hotmail.com
2007-04-07 02:27:53 UTC
Post by Ray O
Post by r***@hotmail.com
Post by Ray O
Post by r***@hotmail.com
Post by Ray O
Post by z***@gmail.com
[...]
I understand that toyota didnt warranty the custom cab, but if they
sell the conversion option how is that not an option from toyota. It
doesnt matter if there is no number for the conversion, but toyota did
offer the conversion for 3000 dollars like i originaly said. You first
stated that "toyota didnt sell the "Custom Cab" in the united states".
Well I have proff that they did. I have two original recipts from
toyota delearships that shows a 3000 dollar option for a custom cab
conversion.
Tomes
2007-04-07 04:06:43 UTC
Post by r***@hotmail.com
Post by Ray O
Post by r***@hotmail.com
Post by Ray O
Post by r***@hotmail.com
Post by Ray O
Post by z***@gmail.com
[...]
In other words than how Ray has said this: If a Toyota dealer sells you a
cap to put on your truck bed it is not a Toyota option, but instead it is
an aftermarket item that just happens to be also sold by that Toyota
dealer. It did not come from Toyota and Toyota has nothing to do with it.
The custom cab is similar to this. The dealer just farmed out the work to
someone else and sold it as an aftermarket item. The Toyota individual
dealer made the final sale to the end user (much like a cap), but Toyota
itself had nothing to do with it.
Hope this helps,
Tomes
Ray O
2007-04-07 04:22:14 UTC
"Tomes" <***@here.net> wrote in message news:nNERh.20276$***@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
<snipped>
Post by Tomes
In other words than how Ray has said this: If a Toyota dealer sells you a
cap to put on your truck bed it is not a Toyota option, but instead it is
an aftermarket item that just happens to be also sold by that Toyota
dealer. It did not come from Toyota and Toyota has nothing to do with it.
The custom cab is similar to this. The dealer just farmed out the work to
someone else and sold it as an aftermarket item. The Toyota individual
dealer made the final sale to the end user (much like a cap), but Toyota
itself had nothing to do with it.
Hope this helps,
Tomes
Good explanation. I did not use the cap analogy because Toyota now offers
caps as a port installed option that Toyota warrants and which appears on
the manufacturer's Monroney label, although that was not the case in 1982.
Mike Hunter
2007-04-07 21:44:03 UTC
Every manufactures warranty has an exclusion for damage cause by neglect and
after market products. Do a search and you will discover those small Toyota
trucks, that had built in campers installed, were all recalled by the
conversion company by order of the NHTSA. Rear axles failures were causing
fires in the rear wheels that resulted in accidents as well as several
deaths. Toyota was not involved because the camper exceeded the GVWR

mike
Post by Ray O
<snipped>
Ray O
2007-04-07 04:12:57 UTC
<snipped>
Post by r***@hotmail.com
[...]
I think you are confusing "Toyota" with Toyota dealers. Toyota Motor Corp.,
Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., and Toyota Motor Distributors are all "Toyota."
The dealer is an independent business with a franchise agreement with Toyota
that gives the dealer the right to sell new Toyota products, use the Toyota
name and logo in the dealer's name, sell genuine Toyota parts (along with
aftermarket parts if they wish), and offer warranty service on Toyota
vehicles. The receipts you have are from Toyota dealers, not Toyota.
Toyota sold the truck to one of their dealers, the dealer sent the truck to
a converter, the converter added the custom cab and sold the conversion to
the dealer, and the dealer sold the truck and conversion. Although there is
a franchise agreement between Toyota and the dealer, they are not one and
the same.

Another analogy would be a digital camera made by Nikon and sold to a store
like Best Buy. Best Buy puts a package together that includes the Nikon
camera and a SanDisk memory card and sells the package. Nikon did not sell
the memory card, Best Buy did.
Danny G.
2007-04-07 16:45:48 UTC
Sorry im off topic.

"I do not recall Toyota ever selling a "Custom Cab" in the U.S.,"
I thought the truck's are called "Cab & Chassis". Am I wrong?

My California registration also cost more money than a normal "pick up" and it's
called a "truck" on the paper work.
I know when I buy parts at the dealer I have to say it's a C&C
to get the right parts for things like the brakes and clutch.

Thanks
Dan

oh BTW:
Those C&C trucks should have a second manafacture's label.
One from Toyota and one from the manafacture of the bed or whatever.
(mine has one from Toyota and one from Texas auto body)
Ray O
2007-04-07 17:20:30 UTC
Post by Danny G.
Sorry im off topic.
"I do not recall Toyota ever selling a "Custom Cab" in the U.S.,"
I thought the truck's are called "Cab & Chassis". Am I wrong?
My California registration also cost more money than a normal "pick up" and it's
called a "truck" on the paper work.
I know when I buy parts at the dealer I have to say it's a C&C
to get the right parts for things like the brakes and clutch.
Thanks
Dan
Those C&C trucks should have a second manafacture's label.
One from Toyota and one from the manafacture of the bed or whatever.
(mine has one from Toyota and one from Texas auto body)
Back in 1982, Toyota imported trucks 3 ways:
1) CBU's, or completely built units. Some base short bed pickups came from
Japan with the bed installed.
2) Incomplete trucks, where the beds were installed at the port of entry.
If you look at the LF corner of the bed, there will be a sticker with an "S"
or "L" for short and long bed, along with the bed's serial number.
3) CC's, or cab and chassis. These were sold to dealers, who sent them to
3rd parties who installed beds, boxes, campers, sweepers, etc. They should
indeed have a second manufacturer's label.

The first CC's were half-ton but were later upgraded to 3/4 and 1 ton, some
with dual rear wheels.
Bruce L. Bergman
2007-04-08 05:00:08 UTC
On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 12:20:30 -0500, "Ray O"
Post by Ray O
Post by Danny G.
Sorry im off topic.
"I do not recall Toyota ever selling a "Custom Cab" in the U.S.,"
I thought the truck's are called "Cab & Chassis". Am I wrong?
My California registration also cost more money than a normal "pick up"
and it's called a "truck" on the paper work.
I know when I buy parts at the dealer I have to say it's a C&C
to get the right parts for things like the brakes and clutch.
oh BTW: Those C&C trucks should have a second manufacturer's label.
One from Toyota and one from the manafacture of the bed or whatever.
(mine has one from Toyota and one from Texas auto body)
1) CBU's, or completely built units. Some base short bed pickups came from
Japan with the bed installed.
2) Incomplete trucks, where the beds were installed at the port of entry.
If you look at the LF corner of the bed, there will be a sticker with an "S"
or "L" for short and long bed, along with the bed's serial number.
3) CC's, or cab and chassis. These were sold to dealers, who sent them to
3rd parties who installed beds, boxes, campers, sweepers, etc. They should
indeed have a second manufacturer's label.
The first CC's were half-ton but were later upgraded to 3/4 and 1 ton, some
with dual rear wheels.
The later ones that were upgraded by Toyota were fine - it's the
early ones manufactured as 1/2-ton or 3/4-ton 'incomplete vehicles'
and the GVWR upgraded by the final manufacturer that were trouble, and
you have to watch out for them. And it got worse when the Motorhome
makers added tag-axles to carry even more weight - tag axles mounted
on air springs that only carried their share of the vehicle weight
when they were properly inflated...

If your "dual rear wheels" are 'siamese' rims on a common six lug
wheel-face (and not the usual 8-lug deep-dish wheels that mount
separately), you have a conversion on a conventional (not a
full-floating) axle and WILL have problems. There is way too much
overhung load on the axle flange from those funky wheels...

Been there, saw what happened when the axle flange snapped and the
left rear wheelset went through the shower pan and the bathroom floor
on the way out the back...

The final manufacturers tried to point the finger of blame back at
Toyota for axle failures, but they aren't the ones that re-rated the
chassis. After the problem was identified, When (not if) the axle
shaft broke, Toyota ate the costs and did a recall where they shipped
you a crate with a complete full-floater rear axle and a set of rims,
installation costs not included.

Oh, and you have to watch where the Toyota frame rails were extended
by the final manufacturer, they love to crack at the welds. Even
after they've been repaired and properly reinforced with fishplates
and box members, they tend to crack /again/ at the welds.

--<< Bruce >>--
Danny G.
2007-04-09 06:29:50 UTC
Post by Bruce L. Bergman
On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 12:20:30 -0500, "Ray O"
Post by Ray O
Post by Danny G.
Sorry im off topic.
[...]
Thank's for the information.

For what its worth every place I have worked for the last 20 years or so uses
the truck's with the stake bed's (usually 6' x 10') and dual rear wheels. The Toyota
trucks are the only ones that seem to be able to take the abuse.

I bought on of the older ones. It's a 1986 C&C (22re with 1/2 ton front end) 6'x10'
flatbed with 24' of boxes, racks setup for HVAC construction.

That thing has been one tuff truck. It's has to work so hard i'm lucky to get 12mpg.
My normally weight is already at 4,900 pounds and tossing a couple thousand pounds
in the bed is no big deal.

The weak spots for us is the clutch and front brakes. They all eat both. Stomp the
brakes at 60 mph and by the time your stopped clouds of smoke are comming from the front brakes.
Mine will not skid at highway speeds. (newer ones stop better) Well it did one time. But it
was from a 100' roll sheet metal strap that fell between the cab and bed hit the road and wound itself
around the frame and driveshaft at 70 mph. LOL woops.

Dan

That sucker must be related to the Everyready bunny because it just keep's going
and going. LOL
r***@hotmail.com
2007-04-16 00:54:19 UTC
Post by r***@hotmail.com
Post by Ray O
Post by z***@gmail.com
[...]
frame 3 feet and put on the fiberglass section.- Hide quoted text -
Ray O I happen to have an 82 Toyota Custom Cab 2 wheel drive and the
fiberglass cab still has a decal on it reading CUSTOM COMPONENTS
CORPORATION. Do you have any information about this or an idea of how
many were made? Thanks Retro
Ray O
2007-04-16 01:31:45 UTC
Post by r***@hotmail.com
Post by r***@hotmail.com
Post by Ray O
Post by z***@gmail.com
[...]
Sorry, I am not familiar with Custom Components Corp. Is there a city of
phone number on the sticker?
r***@hotmail.com
2007-04-16 02:49:55 UTC
Post by Ray O
Post by r***@hotmail.com
Post by r***@hotmail.com
Post by Ray O
Post by z***@gmail.com
[...]
Thanks Ray O No city or # So if anyone has some info Bring It On
Thanks Retro
n***@hotmail.com
I have a 1985 Toyota 4x4 with the custom cab made by winnebago. How rare are these? Does amyone know how many were ordered? The last time I saw one on the road was back in '92 & it was two wheel drive.
b***@gmail.com
I highly doubt I will ever get a response here but I will try anyways. I'm looking for a camper shell for a 1982 custom cab. Does anyone know how to find one. Maybe a company brand that made them back in the day?
Wade Garrett
2018-03-16 22:59:59 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by r***@hotmail.com
Post by Ray O
Post by z***@gmail.com
[...]
Check here:

http://bfy.tw/H9ug
--
The fastest way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.