RAV4 beeper
Keske Saram
2005-08-14 00:15:11 UTC
The RAV4 is a lovely car, but it has the kind of automatics that is
sometimes unwanted and that you cannot control.
For example, when you leave the key in the contact and open the door,
it beeps. Also, when you leave a light on and want to leave the car,
it beeps.
Sometmes, this is helpfrul, some other times it is a pain in
the....(neck).
I asked the Toyota garage to remove this fff....(unny) little sound
devil to have peace, but they refused, saying that it was connected to
the air bag (?????) and that their responsibility re safety was
engaged. I think this is a lota bull....(spit) but anyway, they are
masters in the art of being stubbornly stupid and umbrella-opening.

But after all, that's my car and my decision and my responsibility to
remove the damned little thing, withouit their help if necessary. If I
forget my key on the steering wheel and the car gets stolen, that's my
problem. Same if I forget the little lights and my battery goes flat.

Now to the point: Is there anyone out there Toyotawizards non-stubborn
stupid or umbrella-opening who is able and willing to tell me where
exactly is the little ugly beast and how I I get there to remove it?
(e.g. Does it not have a fuse for itself?) (Can I get an electrical
citrcuit-diagram of this car somewhere?).

I hate automatic stuff that you cannot control and that's doing things
you don't want. The only automatic thing I would have liked is a such
gearbox, but they don't have one to offer for my 2 liter diesel!

Please, don't let me down with the beeper!

Cheers
HachiRoku
2005-08-14 00:23:10 UTC
Post by Keske Saram
[...]
Actually, I believe, quite a few years ago (or, at least, 1999) they came
out with this interesting little thing called an 'integration' module. The
module holds a couple of relays, some circuitry, and, of course, the
beeper...

You MAY, if you can find the proper pins, disable the buzzer by taping
over the +12V pin that goes to the beeper. I have NO idea, and can
speculate how to find it with a meter, but, do you REALLY want to
jeapordize your air bags? I can't see WHY the beeper would be part of the
airbag circuit, but i could see how.

And, I bet, if you break this interesting little device, it's going to be
a LOT of $$$ to repolace it...
Keske Saram
2005-08-14 02:30:17 UTC
Post by HachiRoku
Post by Keske Saram
[...]
I presume, this module is in the engine compartment? But the beeper
obviously is somewhere under the dashboard!
Post by HachiRoku
You MAY, if you can find the proper pins, disable the buzzer by taping
over the +12V pin that goes to the beeper. I have NO idea, and can
speculate how to find it with a meter, but, do you REALLY want to
jeapordize your air bags? I can't see WHY the beeper would be part of the
airbag circuit, but i could see how.
If the airbag depends on the beeper to work (eg if it is placed in
series with it), then it would be disabled if the beeper gets broke
(same as if it is removed by me). So, this would be a stupid
arrangement. (but, the Toyota dealer told me that the only thing on
that car that never fails is the damned beeper!)
What about an electrical circuit diagram? Is it available somewhere?

Besides, I am contemplating removing the door switch. Is there any
a LOT of $$$ to repolace it...
Ray O
2005-08-14 04:52:01 UTC
Post by Keske Saram
Post by HachiRoku
You MAY, if you can find the proper pins, disable the buzzer by taping
over the +12V pin that goes to the beeper. I have NO idea, and can
speculate how to find it with a meter, but, do you REALLY want to
jeapordize your air bags? I can't see WHY the beeper would be part of the
airbag circuit, but i could see how.
If the airbag depends on the beeper to work (eg if it is placed in
series with it), then it would be disabled if the beeper gets broke
(same as if it is removed by me). So, this would be a stupid
arrangement. (but, the Toyota dealer told me that the only thing on
that car that never fails is the damned beeper!)
What about an electrical circuit diagram? Is it available somewhere?
Go to www.toyota.com and for a fee, you can access various repair manuals,
including the wiring diagram.
Post by Keske Saram
Besides, I am contemplating removing the door switch. Is there any
"caveat" in doing that? It seems it is easy to unscrew .
I would not leave the door switch permanently removed because there will be
a hole in the door that can admit water and promote rust.

You could unplug the connector from the back of the switch and leave the
switch in place. You will not have the remnders and you will lose the use
of the dome light from the driver's door but since you don't like automatic
stuff, you can turn the dome light on and off manually. This solution gives
you the option of reconnecting it and easily returning it to normal
operation and you don't need a wiring diagram to unplug a switch.
--
Ray O
correct the return address punctuation to reply
Keske Saram
2005-08-14 16:42:47 UTC
On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 23:52:01 -0500, "Ray O"
Post by Ray O
Go to www.toyota.com and for a fee, you can access various repair manuals,
including the wiring diagram.
Thanks a lot, I've just found it.
But its $45!! damn expensive....
HachiRoku
2005-08-14 11:57:22 UTC
Post by Keske Saram
Post by HachiRoku
You MAY, if you can find the proper pins, disable the buzzer by taping
over the +12V pin that goes to the beeper. I have NO idea, and can
speculate how to find it with a meter, but, do you REALLY want to
jeapordize your air bags? I can't see WHY the beeper would be part of the
airbag circuit, but i could see how.
If the airbag depends on the beeper to work (eg if it is placed in
series with it), then it would be disabled if the beeper gets broke
(same as if it is removed by me). So, this would be a stupid
arrangement. (but, the Toyota dealer told me that the only thing on
that car that never fails is the damned beeper!)
What about an electrical circuit diagram? Is it available somewhere?
Besides, I am contemplating removing the door switch. Is there any
"caveat" in doing that? It seems it is easy to unscrew .
This thing works by supplying Ground, not voltage. So, if you remove the
door switch, it has to be grounded out, or the beeper will always be going
off and the door open light will be on all the time.

I'm not sure of any other consequences of doing this.

These things are annoying, eh? It used to be the beeper was a separate
entity and all you had to do was disconnect it.

As far as a diagram, you'd have to find a service manual somewhere.
a LOT of $$$ to repolace it...
HachiRoku
2005-08-14 11:59:05 UTC
Post by Keske Saram
Post by HachiRoku
You MAY, if you can find the proper pins, disable the buzzer by taping
over the +12V pin that goes to the beeper. I have NO idea, and can
speculate how to find it with a meter, but, do you REALLY want to
jeapordize your air bags? I can't see WHY the beeper would be part of the
airbag circuit, but i could see how.
If the airbag depends on the beeper to work (eg if it is placed in
series with it), then it would be disabled if the beeper gets broke
(same as if it is removed by me). So, this would be a stupid
arrangement. (but, the Toyota dealer told me that the only thing on
that car that never fails is the damned beeper!)
What about an electrical circuit diagram? Is it available somewhere?
Besides, I am contemplating removing the door switch. Is there any
"caveat" in doing that? It seems it is easy to unscrew .
DUH! Too early in the morning for me!!!

DON'T GROUND THE SWITCH!!! or the damn beeper will be going off all the
time! Cover it with electrical tape. But, like Ray says, you'll lose the
interior lighting when the door is open.
Bruce L. Bergman
2005-08-14 16:12:46 UTC
Post by HachiRoku
And, I bet, if you break this interesting little device, it's going to be
a LOT of $$$ to repolace it...
If your effort is to silence the beeper, the easiest thing is to
root around under the dash, find the little box with the Sonalert
piezo beeper, and then wrap it in about three layers of electrical
tape. If that's not enough, add another few layers and try again.

KISS.

It quiets the damned thing to the point where it ceases to be
annoying, does not require any electrical modifications to the car,
does not affect any other systems, and it's quickly and easily
reversible if you (or the next owner of the car) want to restore the
functionality.

--<< Bruce >>--
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Keske Saram
2005-08-14 16:48:10 UTC
Post by Bruce L. Bergman
If your effort is to silence the beeper, the easiest thing is to
root around under the dash, find the little box with the Sonalert
piezo beeper, and then wrap it in about three layers of electrical
tape. If that's not enough, add another few layers and try again.
KISS.
It quiets the damned thing to the point where it ceases to be
annoying, does not require any electrical modifications to the car,
does not affect any other systems, and it's quickly and easily
reversible if you (or the next owner of the car) want to restore the
functionality.
--<< Bruce >>--
Thanks, good advice, but do you know how I can get "under the dash"?
There's a kind of oval frame piece that surrounds the counters. When I
pull on it, the top side comes out (so far, I did not dare going
further!). Or is it some other part that you have to remove?