Bait and switch
Percival P. Cassidy
2018-03-20 20:06:31 UTC
I just found two listings (by different dealerships in different States)
for what purported to be used Prius Fours, which, when I checked the VIN
at carfax.com, turned out to be Prius Twos.

Is this kind of thing common with other models and makes, or is bait and
switch easier and more common with Priuses because there is no badge on
the back to indicate the trim level?

Perce
News
2018-03-20 21:05:25 UTC
Post by Percival P. Cassidy
I just found two listings (by different dealerships in different States)
for what purported to be used Prius Fours, which, when I checked the VIN
at carfax.com, turned out to be Prius Twos.
Is this kind of thing common with other models and makes, or is bait and
switch easier and more common with Priuses because there is no badge on
the back to indicate the trim level?
Perce
I have seen cases where Prius or Prius v that show as base models (i.e.
2, 3 or Three) on the Toyota Owners site are legitimate factory
up-market cars (i.e. models 4, 5, or Five), based on the features build out.
Percival P. Cassidy
2018-03-20 23:28:35 UTC
Post by News
Post by Percival P. Cassidy
I just found two listings (by different dealerships in different
States) for what purported to be used Prius Fours, which, when I
checked the VIN at carfax.com, turned out to be Prius Twos.
Is this kind of thing common with other models and makes, or is bait
and switch easier and more common with Priuses because there is no
badge on the back to indicate the trim level?
I have seen cases where Prius or Prius v that show as base models (i.e.
2, 3 or Three) on the Toyota Owners site are legitimate factory
up-market cars (i.e. models 4, 5, or Five), based on the features build out.
In at least one of those cases, I know that the purported Prius Four is
only a Prius Two -- because I inspected the vehicle and found that it
does not have the Prius Four features that were included in the seller's
description and were the basis of the Kelly Blue Book estimate of the
vehicle's fair market price (or whatever term Kelly uses) and the
displayed "CARFAX Value."

I found another listing where the heading said "Prius Four," but the
detailed description was that of a Prius Two, and the price and the
displayed "CARFAX Value" were appropriate for a Prius Two.

Perce
Your Name
2018-03-21 00:45:06 UTC
Post by Percival P. Cassidy
I just found two listings (by different dealerships in different
States) for what purported to be used Prius Fours, which, when I
checked the VIN at carfax.com, turned out to be Prius Twos.
Is this kind of thing common with other models and makes, or is bait
and switch easier and more common with Priuses because there is no
badge on the back to indicate the trim level?
Perce
I find numerous errors in the local freebie cars for sale magazine
(dealer adverts, not private sales), from simple errors such as the
completely wrong photo through to ridiculous things like saying a Mazda
MX-5/Miata has four doors.

On the local eBay clone which has a vehicle section, there are cars
also ridiculous descriptions. One not long ago was advertised as
"unmodified" in the title, yet the description was on about it having
been lowered, different driver's seat, bigger/louder exhaust, the
pictures showed extra dials installed on top of the dashboard, etc. I
actually posted a question querying how that could possibly be
"unmodified" and the idiot simply replied with "thank you for your
comment" and then had the question deleted. :-\