RAV4 - Annoying beep noise
lega kismar
2004-08-16 23:26:01 UTC
Just recently bought a (nearly-) new RAV4 (mod. 3003).
When I open the door with the contact key left in place, it makes an
ugly and insistent beep noise.
I like to listen to the radio from outside, eg while I clean the car
(door open), and this beep noise is really a nuisance.
Also, when I leave the small lights on when the car is parked -
convenient or even necessary in some situations, there is a different,
very annoying beep tone, obviously produced by the same beeper,
somewhere behind the dashboard, on the left of the steerwheel.
Is there a way to shut that damn thing up? (eg a fuse or so?)
thanks.
HachiRoku
2004-08-17 00:13:58 UTC
Post by lega kismar
Just recently bought a (nearly-) new RAV4 (mod. 3003).
When I open the door with the contact key left in place, it makes an
ugly and insistent beep noise.
I like to listen to the radio from outside, eg while I clean the car
(door open), and this beep noise is really a nuisance.
Also, when I leave the small lights on when the car is parked -
convenient or even necessary in some situations, there is a different,
very annoying beep tone, obviously produced by the same beeper,
somewhere behind the dashboard, on the left of the steerwheel.
Is there a way to shut that damn thing up? (eg a fuse or so?)
thanks.
Damn, man, a 3003! What type of propulsion system does it have? Nuclear?
(Sorry, tough job, but someone's got to do it! I'm guilty of
Fat-Fingering, too ;)

Try to trace it. In the gool ol' days, there used to be a module over by
the glove box, or, behind the driver's kick panel. All you had to do was
disconnect it.

In these days of 'integrated electronics' things come as 'modules'. I
can't remember what the circumstances were, but I had to replace something
on a 1998 Pre-Runner (4WD truck...WITHOUT the 4wd!). On my older toys,
just unsnap a relay, and snap a new one in. Not in this case...it was
integrated into a $125 module! If your lucky, you will find the beeper.
But, I have a feeling it's in a module, like in the Fords. (Yeah, 'Better
Idea, Ford. A buzzer craps out, so you have to replace an $800 ECM to fix
it!) If this is the case, find the beeper and break it! (NOOOOO!)
Tegger®
2004-08-17 01:08:18 UTC
Post by HachiRoku
In these days of 'integrated electronics' things come as 'modules'. I
can't remember what the circumstances were, but I had to replace
something on a 1998 Pre-Runner (4WD truck...WITHOUT the 4wd!). On my
older toys, just unsnap a relay, and snap a new one in. Not in this
case...it was integrated into a $125 module! If your lucky, you will
find the beeper. But, I have a feeling it's in a module, like in the
Fords. (Yeah, 'Better Idea, Ford. A buzzer craps out, so you have to
replace an $800 ECM to fix it!) If this is the case, find the beeper
and break it! (NOOOOO!)
The old days are gone when Corollas had a small relay under the dash that
you could easily unplug.

Chances are pretty good the "beeper" is a piezo-electric component soldered
to a central circuit board. It will be much smaller in diameter than a
dime.

If you can locate the board, you can unsolder the beeper (two pins--easy)
and solder in a resistor to replace it.

Or you can do what I did in my Honda: Put a #8 wood screw into the hole in
the beeper's plastic casing. Screw it in by hand until it bears hard enough
on the metal diaphragm to keep it from vibrating. It's worked a treat for
the last 13 years.
--
TeGGeR®

How to find anything on the Internet:
www.google.com

or in Usenet Groups:
www.groups.google.com

Google is your friend. Learn how to use it,
but don't buy their overpriced stock!
Art
2004-08-17 00:34:08 UTC
If it cannot be disconnected you could close the car door and open the
window. Or if the door has to be open, be creative and come up with a
fastener to hold down the door switch. Don't have any ideas for the second
problem.
thanks.
Nick Trounson
2004-08-17 07:18:30 UTC
Post by Art
If it cannot be disconnected you could close the car door and open the
window. Or if the door has to be open, be creative and come up with a
fastener to hold down the door switch.
Maybe Toyota took a leaf from Mazda's beeper book and set it up so if you
open the door with the key in, beeper goes off until you remove the key.
Reinsert the key with the door still open... beeper couldn't give a toss!

Give that a go.

Nick.

Don't have any ideas for the second
Post by Art
problem.
thanks.
Gord Beaman
2005-06-30 02:06:46 UTC
Post by Nick Trounson
Post by Art
If it cannot be disconnected you could close the car door and open the
window. Or if the door has to be open, be creative and come up with a
fastener to hold down the door switch.
Maybe Toyota took a leaf from Mazda's beeper book and set it up so if you
open the door with the key in, beeper goes off until you remove the key.
Reinsert the key with the door still open... beeper couldn't give a toss!
Give that a go.
Nick.
Don't have any ideas for the second
Post by Art
problem.
Try the same 'cure'...bet it'll work just as well?.
Post by Nick Trounson
Post by Art
Post by lega kismar
Just recently bought a (nearly-) new RAV4 (mod. 3003).
When I open the door with the contact key left in place, it makes an
ugly and insistent beep noise.
I like to listen to the radio from outside, eg while I clean the car
(door open), and this beep noise is really a nuisance.
Also, when I leave the small lights on when the car is parked -
convenient or even necessary in some situations, there is a different,
very annoying beep tone, obviously produced by the same beeper,
somewhere behind the dashboard, on the left of the steerwheel.
Is there a way to shut that damn thing up? (eg a fuse or so?)
thanks.
--
-Gord.

"I'm trying to get as old as I can,