Corolla Tail Lights Not Working?
j***@yahoo.com
2005-05-19 14:30:06 UTC
Hey Guys,

We just bought a 2001 Corolla LE and have just noticed that the tail
lights do not work. Here are some of the things we tried and have
noticed:

1. Brake lights work fine
2. Signal lights work fine
3. Headlights work fine
4. Tail lights and rear side tail lights do not work when lights are
switched on

Checked:

1. Replaced tail lights completely
2. Checked all fuses and none are blown

....Ok anyone got any clue on where to go or what to check from here???
Jeff Strickland
2005-05-19 18:14:45 UTC
The ground of the tail light assemblies is faulty.

If the lights are on AND this causes the brake lights to work differently,
then the ground is the definitely the problem. If the turn signals and the
brake lights are the same light bulb, then the turn signals should work
differently when the lights are on and the ground is defective. (I am not
sure, but I think the turn signals on that car are actually a different
bulb, so they not behave as I described.)

The light assemblies are grounded through either a wire or the mounting
screw, and the ground is defective causing the lights to not come on. Take
the screws out, remove the lamp assembly, locate the trace on the assembly
that goes to one of the screw holes, and clean it and the portion of the
body where it makes contact. If the trace is broken of corroded, then you
may be able to fix it by splicing in a wire.

You need to be certain that you are installing the correct light bulbs too.
The running lights/brake lights are actually the same light bulb with two
filiments inside. If you are installing a bulb with a single filiment, then
there is no point in checking the ground because you haven't even got the
correct light bulbs.
j***@yahoo.com
2005-05-20 00:58:40 UTC
Thanks for your quick reply Jeff. I only have one problem with your
explanation of the defective ground. Since the tailight does contain
two filaments and essentially is also the brake light, how could the
brake light work then if the ground to that bulb was bad? They are
definitely the right bulbs too. We triple checked this. Also that
same ground cable goes to the turn signals and those work fine too???
Scott in Florida
2005-05-20 01:06:24 UTC
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Thanks for your quick reply Jeff. I only have one problem with your
explanation of the defective ground. Since the tailight does contain
two filaments and essentially is also the brake light, how could the
brake light work then if the ground to that bulb was bad? They are
definitely the right bulbs too. We triple checked this. Also that
same ground cable goes to the turn signals and those work fine too???
I missed your original post...

On my '97 Corolla the socket had failed (the solder melted where the
bulb contacts the socket).

I had to install a new cable assembly.

Take a look inside the socket and see if that might be your problem.

Scott in Florida
bobb
2005-05-20 04:12:37 UTC
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Thanks for your quick reply Jeff. I only have one problem with your
explanation of the defective ground. Since the tailight does contain
two filaments and essentially is also the brake light, how could the
brake light work then if the ground to that bulb was bad? They are
definitely the right bulbs too. We triple checked this. Also that
same ground cable goes to the turn signals and those work fine too???
Since you know about grounds, I assume u got a voltmeter and have made
use of it?

If no voltage, I am thinking a bad relay.
j***@yahoo.com
2005-05-20 04:22:50 UTC
Correct Bobb, we are getting 12V to the Green/White wire that goes to
the brake filament in the bulb when its depressed, but do not get any
voltage to the Green only wire when the lights are turned on. This is
the case with BOTH the left and right sides. Which relay do you speak
of Bobb?

Thanks
Jean Nygaard <>
2005-05-20 08:30:07 UTC
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Correct Bobb, we are getting 12V to the Green/White wire that goes to
the brake filament in the bulb when its depressed, but do not get any
voltage to the Green only wire when the lights are turned on. This is
the case with BOTH the left and right sides. Which relay do you speak
of Bobb?
Thanks
This may seem as a silly question, but I just want to make sure that
you have checked the fuse labeled "TAIL". If you only check all the
fuses in the engine compartment, you probably haven't found the right
fuse yet. It's most likely located behind a small drawer inside the
cabin to the left of the steering wheel. We sometimes see this,
normally the cause is towing a defect trailer.

Best regards,

Jean Nygaard
Denmark
Jeff Strickland
2005-05-20 17:00:30 UTC
The tail light can have a defective ground and the brake lights will still
work BECAUSE the lighting circuit is grounded through the front lights.
That's why I asked if the brake lights still work when the lights are ON. If
the lights are ON andthe brake lights stop working, then this confirms that
the light assemblies in the back are lacking a good ground.
j***@yahoo.com
2005-05-20 19:08:17 UTC
Ok, yes the brake lights DO work when either the headlights are on OR
off, no matter. Is there some relay that is connected to this that
could be the problem?
J. Reed
2005-05-22 04:18:31 UTC
Hello, I have a 1999 LE so this may NOT apply to your vehicle but.... this
sounds like your DRS headlight system isn't working or has been
disconnected...
Check to see if your headlights come on quickly right after starting and
with
the parking brake handle 'off' or down... If the DRS system has been
modified,
then the running lights for the tail lights at night MIGHT be affected....
let us
know what you find out... good luck.
Ray O
2005-05-22 06:05:55 UTC
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Hey Guys,
We just bought a 2001 Corolla LE and have just noticed that the tail
lights do not work. Here are some of the things we tried and have
1. Brake lights work fine
2. Signal lights work fine
3. Headlights work fine
4. Tail lights and rear side tail lights do not work when lights are
switched on
1. Replaced tail lights completely
2. Checked all fuses and none are blown
....Ok anyone got any clue on where to go or what to check from here???
When you say "replaced tail lights completely" do you mean that you replaced
the bulbs or tail light assembly? Hopefully, you replaced the bulbs and not
the assembly. Check for power at the bulb sockets. If you have power, then
the ground wire is loose, disconnected, or broken. You can check for power
a couple of way. 1) get an inexpensive test light at an auto parts store 2)
get a volt/ohm meter, more expensive but more useful.
--
Ray O
correct the return address punctuation to reply
j***@yahoo.com
2005-05-23 13:58:56 UTC
Ok, case closed gentlemen. Thanks alot for all the help. I basically
ripped the whole bottom part of the car apart by the wiring to trace
the system back. It ended up being a cut/freyed green wire that
carried the 12v to the lights. Not sure how it happened but its
repaired now and now I have to figure out how to get the car back
together again, lol!!!
Jeff Strickland
Well that's easy. Assembly is the reverse of disassembly. Duh!
Gord Beaman
2005-05-23 19:15:58 UTC
Post by Jeff Strickland
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Ok, case closed gentlemen. Thanks alot for all the help. I basically
ripped the whole bottom part of the car apart by the wiring to trace
the system back. It ended up being a cut/freyed green wire that
carried the 12v to the lights. Not sure how it happened but its
repaired now and now I have to figure out how to get the car back
together again, lol!!!
Well that's easy. Assembly is the reverse of disassembly. Duh!
unless you're assembling one of those &#$%^ big ass modern
barbeques...then you gotta be a mastermechanic with a background
in magic plus an irate wife who wants it done NOW...
--
-Gord.

"I'm trying to get as old as I can,
and it must be working 'cause I'm
the oldest now that I've ever been"
Scott in Florida
2005-05-23 19:17:51 UTC
Post by Gord Beaman
Post by Jeff Strickland
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Ok, case closed gentlemen. Thanks alot for all the help. I basically
ripped the whole bottom part of the car apart by the wiring to trace
the system back. It ended up being a cut/freyed green wire that
carried the 12v to the lights. Not sure how it happened but its
repaired now and now I have to figure out how to get the car back
together again, lol!!!
Well that's easy. Assembly is the reverse of disassembly. Duh!
unless you're assembling one of those &#$%^ big ass modern
barbeques...then you gotta be a mastermechanic with a background
in magic plus an irate wife who wants it done NOW...
....and the f*ing instructions make sense....sorta....after you are
done.

Gawd who the f*ck writes assembly instructions?
Scott in Florida
Gord Beaman
2005-05-23 19:44:01 UTC
Post by Scott in Florida
Post by Gord Beaman
Post by Jeff Strickland
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Ok, case closed gentlemen. Thanks alot for all the help. I basically
ripped the whole bottom part of the car apart by the wiring to trace
the system back. It ended up being a cut/freyed green wire that
carried the 12v to the lights. Not sure how it happened but its
repaired now and now I have to figure out how to get the car back
together again, lol!!!
Well that's easy. Assembly is the reverse of disassembly. Duh!
unless you're assembling one of those &#$%^ big ass modern
barbeques...then you gotta be a mastermechanic with a background
in magic plus an irate wife who wants it done NOW...
....and the f*ing instructions make sense....sorta....after you are
done.
Gawd who the f*ck writes assembly instructions?
Yeh...I gauge my success by the number of parts I have left
over...don't think that I've ever attained 100%...got almost
enough thingies to build another one now... :)

Scott in Florida
2005-05-23 20:14:41 UTC
Post by Gord Beaman
Post by Scott in Florida
Post by Gord Beaman
Post by Jeff Strickland
Post by j***@yahoo.com
[...]
I just finished installing a new home thermostat...

It was to replace the very same model.

Of course it had a BIG instruction not to return it to the store and
to call them.

I did and found a very competent gal that got me squared away very
quickly. She also said I should take the defective unit back to Home
Depot (next to Wal Mart<g>)....for a credit.

I said...well I don't have the receipt.

She says...we have only made that model for two years...so take it
back.

Damn...you can't beat that!!!

...btw I dropped by Wal Mart to get some bird food and met some happy
competent employees.

Love that Wal Mart corporation!
Scott in Florida
Ray O
2005-05-25 19:31:50 UTC
Post by Scott in Florida
Post by Gord Beaman
Post by Jeff Strickland
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Ok, case closed gentlemen. Thanks alot for all the help. I basically
ripped the whole bottom part of the car apart by the wiring to trace
the system back. It ended up being a cut/freyed green wire that
carried the 12v to the lights. Not sure how it happened but its
repaired now and now I have to figure out how to get the car back
together again, lol!!!
Well that's easy. Assembly is the reverse of disassembly. Duh!
unless you're assembling one of those &#$%^ big ass modern
barbeques...then you gotta be a mastermechanic with a background
in magic plus an irate wife who wants it done NOW...
....and the f*ing instructions make sense....sorta....after you are
done.
Gawd who the f*ck writes assembly instructions?
LOL! Real men don't read instructions!
rosieo49
2018-01-18 15:18:04 UTC
replying to jdsuowner, rosieo49 wrote:
try changing headlight multifunction switch on steering column

--
for full context, visit http://www.motorsforum.com/toyota/corolla-tail-lights-not-working-9166-.htm