93 Toyota Corolla No Start....
Solomon_Man
2007-07-06 15:58:09 UTC
All,
I did something stupid and not sure how to proceed.

I have a 1993 Toyota Corolla,Automatic that has run fine for 3 yrs up
to this morning. Here is what I did, I power washed the engine
compartment due to oil\grime build up. The engine started fine after
washing and I went for a drive to "dry" things up. I got about 3 miles
away from home and it just died. I mean cut out no warning. It will
not restart. I have gas going to cylinders but no spark. I pulled cap
and air (compressor air) dried it and all the wire ends. There was no
water in it that I could see in the first place. Everything looks dry.

Any ideas why no spark.

Currently the vehicles hood is open and drying in the hot Ohio sun.

I know there is a ignition module and a coil present that could be a
problem but I am looking for the simpler solution before I go
replacing parts.

Thanks,
Chris
Jeff
2007-07-06 17:22:02 UTC
Post by Solomon_Man
All,
I did something stupid and not sure how to proceed.
I have a 1993 Toyota Corolla,Automatic that has run fine for 3 yrs up
to this morning. Here is what I did, I power washed the engine
compartment due to oil\grime build up. The engine started fine after
washing and I went for a drive to "dry" things up. I got about 3 miles
away from home and it just died. I mean cut out no warning. It will
not restart. I have gas going to cylinders but no spark. I pulled cap
and air (compressor air) dried it and all the wire ends. There was no
water in it that I could see in the first place. Everything looks dry.
you probably got water inside of something that shouldn't have water in it.
Post by Solomon_Man
Any ideas why no spark.
Currently the vehicles hood is open and drying in the hot Ohio sun.
I know there is a ignition module and a coil present that could be a
problem but I am looking for the simpler solution before I go
replacing parts.
Thanks,
Chris
Thanks. This is the main reason why I don't power wash my engine. Plus,
I don't go for those engine shampoos? Do they come with engine cream rinse?

Jeff
Ph@Boy
2007-07-06 19:21:46 UTC
Post by Solomon_Man
[...]
Check for voltage to the coil. You may have shorted in the wiring
harness somewhere (between wires in the bundle). Try using the
compressed air again along any harnesses you can see. If you have
original secondary ignition parts on the car you may want to consider
replacing them. You never know with a fourteen year old car. Good luck.
bige
2018-12-23 05:18:02 UTC
replying to Solomon_Man, bige wrote:
90% of the time that is coil failer: check it has 12 volt when cranking the
screw on top should have 3 wires on it is power in..
use a test light on the bottom screw on the coil if it seems to flicker it is
most likely the coil..

--
for full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/toyota/93-toyota-corolla-no-start-121260-.htm