2005 Toyota Highlander Armrest Removal
solymars
2005-07-30 18:51:23 UTC
I bought an after-market seat cover for my 2005 Highlander bucket
seats. Is it possible to remove the armrest so I can install my seat
cover AND REINSTALL them back (easily perhaps)? TIA.
Ray O
2005-07-31 06:17:30 UTC
Post by solymars
I bought an after-market seat cover for my 2005 Highlander bucket
seats. Is it possible to remove the armrest so I can install my seat
cover AND REINSTALL them back (easily perhaps)? TIA.
Yes.
--
Ray O
correct the return address punctuation to reply
solymars
2005-08-03 02:33:33 UTC
would you please be so kind to share your knowledge in removing the
armrest. i tried my best to pry them out with my hands but they seem
to be attached pretty well. do you have any instructions or know of
any readily available instructions on how to remove the armrest for a
2005 toyota highlander?

thanks again for your reply.
Ray O
2005-08-03 03:34:02 UTC
Post by solymars
would you please be so kind to share your knowledge in removing the
armrest. i tried my best to pry them out with my hands but they seem
to be attached pretty well. do you have any instructions or know of
any readily available instructions on how to remove the armrest for a
2005 toyota highlander?
thanks again for your reply.
With the armrest in the up position, take a look at the seam underneath the
end of the armrest closest to the pivot point. There should be a zipper or
velcro or clip or something hidden underneath the seam. Undo the
zipper/velcro/clip, carefully peel back the armrest cover until you see how
the pivot is attached to the seat. Remove the armrest, install your seat
cover, and reverse the process.
Craig Baker
2005-08-03 09:23:36 UTC
See the plastic cap where the armrest pivots on the seat? Pry the cap
off and behind it is a bolt which you remove and the armrest comes
off.

solymars
2005-08-05 15:06:12 UTC
thanks for the replies. really appreciated from a non-mechanic.

Ray O: i did look at the seam underneath the end of the armrest closest
to the pivot point and unfortunately this seem is SEWED on. i do not
see any portion of the fabric covering the armrest that will allow me
to peel off the amrest cover from what i can see.

Craig B: popping off the plastic cap was my first attempt but it's
attached really tight and i was afraid of breaking it off or breaking
off the locking mechanism that i wont be able to pop it back in. also,
i was thinking that it might be some kinda twist and pop kinda
un-locking mechanism. pushing the material down to expose the locking
cap as much as possible, i saw that it has a long tubular stem so i
can't even guess how the locking part works and my idea of using a
flathead screwdriver to pop it out would not work as then i would
damage the tubular stem. have you pop one of these caps before? is
there a secret to it like a push-down + twist + pry or whatever?

again, thank you so much in advance for everyone's reply.
Ray O
2005-08-08 04:25:24 UTC
Post by solymars
thanks for the replies. really appreciated from a non-mechanic.
Ray O: i did look at the seam underneath the end of the armrest closest
to the pivot point and unfortunately this seem is SEWED on. i do not
see any portion of the fabric covering the armrest that will allow me
to peel off the amrest cover from what i can see.
I have not looked at how the armrest is attached on a Highlander so I my
advice was based on other cars with moving armrests. As far as popping
plastic caps off, if they break, replacement parts are probably a few
dollars, so worst case, if the cap breaks, you buy new ones.

Good luck!
john y
2015-11-18 04:18:01 UTC
replying to Ray O, john y wrote:
I have taken both of mine off before.... push in around the cap with your
fingers and get a good grip on it and then pull hard.... they do pop off....
got them off without any damage.... seemed as though the equal pressure
around the perimeter of the cap helped... GOOD LUCK...

--
posted from
http://www.motorsforum.com/toyota/2005-toyota-highlander-armrest-removal-20219-.htm
alt.autos.toyota and other automotive groups
KenK
2017-03-28 12:18:01 UTC
replying to john y, KenK wrote:
I have a 2006 Highlander. My biggest challenge was removing the plastic cap.
As you can see in the images I provided the cap is held in the arm rest by two
tabs at the bottom end of the cap. I was able to remove the cap by getting
fingers (on both hands) behind the lip of the cap then wiggling and pulling
pretty hard. It looks like it might come off more easily if you squeeze the
round body of the cap from both sides of the body and then pull, but you would
have to squeeze at the point on the body where the tabs are located (and the
tabs are not visible until you remove the cap). Hopefully the pictures of the
cap will assist you in removing this cap.
https://www.motorsforum.com/img/32
https://www.motorsforum.com/img/33

for full context, visit http://www.motorsforum.com/toyota/2005-toyota-highlander-armrest-removal-20219-.htm
Albert L Hendrix
2018-01-21 22:18:00 UTC
replying to KenK, Albert L Hendrix wrote:
I found that if you wrap some small diameter nylon cord around the cap a few
turns, it pulls of pretty easily.

for full context, visit http://www.motorsforum.com/toyota/2005-toyota-highlander-armrest-removal-20219-.htm
lietzke
2018-09-21 12:18:03 UTC
replying to Albert L Hendrix, lietzke wrote:
This was the trick for me. Brilliant!
--
for full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/toyota/2005-toyota-highlander-armrest-removal-20219-.htm