Prius Mode setting blank
Percival P. Cassidy
2018-06-16 15:59:48 UTC
I have found that if I leave our 2015 Prius Four in "Power" mode when I
switch it off, when I switch it on again there is no "Mode" indicator at
all -- blank where the Mode indicator normally displays.

What Mode is it actually in at that point? -- doesn't feel like Power
mode when I hit the accelerator. I'm guessing that it's in ECO Mode, but
why doesn't it display that?

Perce
Pat
It's in normal mode. Not Power. Not ECO.
Percival P. Cassidy
2018-06-17 20:04:58 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by Percival P. Cassidy
I have found that if I leave our 2015 Prius Four in "Power" mode when I
switch it off, when I switch it on again there is no "Mode" indicator at
all -- blank where the Mode indicator normally displays.
What Mode is it actually in at that point? -- doesn't feel like Power
mode when I hit the accelerator. I'm guessing that it's in ECO Mode, but
why doesn't it display that?
It's in normal mode. Not Power. Not ECO.
Thanks, Pat. We are newbie Prius drivers and hadn't realized that there
was a "Normal" mode in addition to the ones activated by the labeled
buttons. When I Googled the modes, I found suggestions that in many
situations "Normal" may be preferable.

Perce
Pat
2018-06-17 20:58:05 UTC
On Sun, 17 Jun 2018 16:04:58 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
Post by Percival P. Cassidy
Post by Pat
Post by Percival P. Cassidy
I have found that if I leave our 2015 Prius Four in "Power" mode when I
switch it off, when I switch it on again there is no "Mode" indicator at
all -- blank where the Mode indicator normally displays.
What Mode is it actually in at that point? -- doesn't feel like Power
mode when I hit the accelerator. I'm guessing that it's in ECO Mode, but
why doesn't it display that?
It's in normal mode. Not Power. Not ECO.
Thanks, Pat. We are newbie Prius drivers and hadn't realized that there
was a "Normal" mode in addition to the ones activated by the labeled
buttons. When I Googled the modes, I found suggestions that in many
situations "Normal" may be preferable.
Perce
Interesting. Why do they believe normal is better? I typically use
ECO because I like to see high mpg's. I sometimes use power when
entering a busy freeway but then I go back to ECO. I do notice that
when I rent a car (non-Prius), I tend to press the gas pedal too hard
at first because I am so used to driving the Prius in ECO mode.

Pat
Percival P. Cassidy
2018-06-18 01:25:13 UTC
Post by Percival P. Cassidy
Post by Pat
Post by Percival P. Cassidy
[...]
This is what I found first of all -- a basic description of the
Post by Pat
http://prius.wikia.com/wiki/Operating_modes_(ECO,_Normal,_PWR_and_EV)
I can no longer find the thread where people were suggesting that Normal
is better, but it was on the priuschat forum.

Perce
Elmo P. Shagnasty
What does your owner''s manual say?
Percival P. Cassidy
2018-06-18 14:36:46 UTC
Post by Elmo P. Shagnasty
Post by Percival P. Cassidy
Post by Percival P. Cassidy
I have found that if I leave our 2015 Prius Four in "Power" mode when I
switch it off, when I switch it on again there is no "Mode"
indicator at
all -- blank where the Mode indicator normally displays.
What Mode is it actually in at that point? -- doesn't feel like Power
mode when I hit the accelerator. I'm guessing that it's in ECO Mode, but
why doesn't it display that?
It's in normal mode.  Not Power.  Not ECO.
Thanks, Pat. We are newbie Prius drivers and hadn't realized that
there was a "Normal" mode in addition to the ones activated by the
labeled buttons. When I Googled the modes, I found suggestions that in
many situations "Normal" may be preferable.
What does your owner''s manual say?
The Owner's Manual refers to EV, ECO and Pwr modes. I have found no
mention of a "None of the Above" or "Normal" mode.

Perce
Percival P. Cassidy
2018-06-18 15:00:09 UTC
Post by Percival P. Cassidy
Post by Elmo P. Shagnasty
Post by Percival P. Cassidy
Post by Percival P. Cassidy
I have found that if I leave our 2015 Prius Four in "Power" mode when I
switch it off, when I switch it on again there is no "Mode" indicator at
all -- blank where the Mode indicator normally displays.
What Mode is it actually in at that point? -- doesn't feel like Power
mode when I hit the accelerator. I'm guessing that it's in ECO Mode, but
why doesn't it display that?
It's in normal mode.  Not Power.  Not ECO.
Thanks, Pat. We are newbie Prius drivers and hadn't realized that
there was a "Normal" mode in addition to the ones activated by the
labeled buttons. When I Googled the modes, I found suggestions that
in many situations "Normal" may be preferable.
What does your owner''s manual say?
The Owner's Manual refers to EV, ECO and Pwr modes. I have found no
mention of a "None of the Above" or "Normal" mode.
And the so-called "Normal" mode isn't even the default (unless it
normally is but the previous owner was able to change it or have it
changed by the dealer): the default appears to be the ECO mode -- at
least that's the mode in which ours always started until this recent
occasion when I had left in Pwr mode and it started up again in that
"nothing" mode about which I was asking.

Perce